Why Greek Life Isn't the Problem

| On
4:03 AM

Okay, by now I’m sure you’ve all heard of the incident at the University of Oklahoma involving their chapter of Sigma Alpha Epsilon (SAE) and the video of some of their members chanting racial slurs. This is not the only instance of racial events surrounding Greek Life; there have been a few events of Greeks on campus holding theme parties with themes where the members wear stereotypical racial costumes like black face, traditional Mexican, Asian or Indian wear, and more. Greeks are often associated with allegations of hazing on campuses. To add to this, there have also been a few accounts of rapes occurring at fraternity houses.

Because of these events, many feel Greek Life as a whole is the blame and that’s just not the case. First off, just as many non-Greek students at colleges and universities cause problems as well but when the issue is attached to a pair of Greek letters the issue becomes much bigger.

People then look at Greek life as something that’s toxic and should be banned from campuses altogether. Let’s get something straight, the issue does not lie with Greek life. People make decisions based on themselves, their choices are a reflection of their character, background and their own mindset and it’s those few that give Greek Life a bad name.

Greek Life has a lot to offer and can do a lot of good. The Greek community is strong and filled with individuals who have awesome leadership skills, a strong focus on academics and extracurricular activities, philanthropists’, and they each hold their organizations values and morals to a high standard. The choices of those few that chose to behave poorly are not a reflection of me, my sorority, or my fellow Greeks.

Becoming Greek enhanced my college experience in an amazing way. I was part of a community of diverse, intelligent, strong individuals, we maintained a strong focus on academics within our chapters, a strong presence on campus, with many of our members being involved in other clubs, athletics, Greek Honor Societies, helped raise thousands of dollars of charities, participating in volunteer work and became leaders on and off campus.

Greek Life isn’t as ridiculous as it seems on TV and in movies. Do we party? Hell yes. Can I make a toga out of anything? Yes. Did I use glitter excessively while crafting for my little and recruitment parties? Yes. Did I partake in racist theme parties with people in black face? Absolutely not.

Many people are under the impression that once you become Greek, you automatically become a part of the problem. As if when I received my bid into my sorority the card read: “Welcome to Our Sisterhood: You are now a racist, vapid, over-privileged whore.” You wouldn’t believe the things I’ve read from those against Greek Life. I am a proud sorority woman; I have family and friends in the Greek community, I have family and friends in SAE, did that video represent who they are? NO.

Greek Life has taught me so much and has given me many amazing opportunities. It’s taught me how to be a better leader, how to work well with others, to stand up for what I believe in, how to run a business, how to bring people together, it’s given me many volunteer opportunities, the chance to raise money for amazing organizations like the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals which is my national sororities’ philanthropy, it gave me an amazing support system and a home away from home and it’s ultimately helped me become a better person. I’ll be damned if I let the actions of a few take away something that’s meant so much to me and so many others across the country and take away the opportunity for it to help change the lives of those that come after us.

The actions of those individuals that chose to spread ignorance does not define me nor does it represent who I am, what my sorority stands for, nor does it represent the many other Greeks that work hard to uphold the standards of their organization and work so hard to fight the stereotypes that plague us as Greeks.


Greek life has the power to do a lot of good and we should not be damned due to the actions of a few. They do not speak for me- I do

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature