Ways to Cope with Anxiety and Depression

| On
11:48 PM

Anxiety and depression have a way of taking charge of your life and swallowing you whole. It can consume you and the suddenly you feel like you’re drowning. It can make everyday tasks such as going to class, going out with friends, completing assignments, and just leaving your room seem like you’re about to face your impending doom. This has been something I've dealt with since I was a kid, some days are better than others but no matter what I've learned that you can’t let your anxiety hold you back from living your life.

Here are a few things I've learned that help me deal with anxiety and depression and hopefully they’ll help someone else dealing with the same thing.


1.      Time management is KEY!
The main thing that has helped me out is keeping track of all of my assignments, extracurricular activities and other things. Keeping a planner and having all of the things I need to do all in one place helps me stay on track and keeps me from stressing out about missing things. Making to-do lists and keeping reminders in places that I look at constantly like my phone and on my desk help me to make sure I do everything I need to and helps me stay organized. Maintaining organization makes me feel like I have my life together and keeps me from stressing.


2.      Keeping a journal
One of the things I learned from my counselor was to write down the good things that happen during the day, it keeps me from harping on all of the bad things that have happened or could happen. I keep my writings in a notebook that I keep by my desk and at the end of the day I write down the good things that have happened during the day. One of the downsides of anxiety is that it is often paired with depression, having one can be hard; having both can be a nightmare sometimes. This trick also helps me with my depression because one of the things I will do is let the bad things take over and then from then on- everything is terrible. Journaling helps me remember the good things for when I need to be reassured that even when things seem dark there’s still a light at the end of the tunnel.


3.      Skipping class or missing things is a big no-no.
Something that I dealt with was whenever my anxiety and depression became too much to handle is I would shut myself off from everything. My depression kept me from wanting to get out of bed and live my life and then my anxiety would kick in because I would stress about missing things and falling behind. It’s a constant battle. Making yourself get out of bed in the mornings can seem like the hardest thing to do when all you want to do is be alone but you've got to do it. The more things you miss, the more stress you’ll be under and the worse you’ll feel. Be good to yourself and get up in the morning and start your day, it’ll pay off in the long run.


4.      Sleep helps!
Disorganized sleep patterns are a result of anxiety and depression and can affect how you feel. It can range from getting too much sleep or not getting enough sleep- either way you just end up feeling exhausted and then you don’t feel like doing anything. Try to go to bed at a decent time and set an alarm so you can get up feeling refreshed.


5.      Music can be your best friend.
Music has always been my go-to whenever my depression and anxiety become too much to handle. Songs that have the ability to put you in a better mood are so important because when things get rough and you need something to help calm you down and sooth your nerves. I keep a playlist of my favorite songs that help me on my phone so that when I’m out and I start to feel anxious I can listen to them it helps so much.


6.      Don’t be afraid to get help.
Getting help was the last thing I wanted because it felt like I was admitting something was wrong with me and I didn't want to seem crazy. Dealing with anxiety, depression or anything else does not make you crazy and it doesn't mean something’s wrong with you- that’s something I realized after I finally decided to get help. I began receiving help after I let my anxiety and depression rule my life. I had stopped going to class, I didn’t want to see my friends, I wouldn’t talk to my mom about the things that were actually going on, I didn’t want to do anything but sleep because when I’m asleep, I don’t have to deal with life. It started to get bad and my anxiety attacks became more frequent and I had gotten to a really bad place in my life that I had fought for years to bring myself out. I didn’t want to see myself get bad again so I decided enough was enough and I sought help and it was the best decision I had ever made. I now have a wonderful support system that is behind me every step of the way and it felt like a weight was lifted off of my shoulders. Talking to someone about the things you are going through helps because it lets you know that you’re not going through this alone.


7.      Finally, just BREATHE.
When you feel like things are getting to be too much, just take a moment to gather your thoughts and just breathe. It’s okay, you’re allowed a moment to yourself to get yourself together. If you’re feeling anxious to the point where it seems like everything is caving in and that you’re going to have an anxiety attack, take deep breaths in through your nose and exhale through your mouth. It helps regulate your breathing and slows your heart rate. Take a break from life every once in a while to do things you love whether it’s writing, reading, exercising (which also helps with anxiety on its own), just do things that make you happy and keeps your mind at ease.



These are a few tips that help me with my anxiety and depression and I hope these will help others dealing with similar issues. You’re not alone; don’t destroy yourself when you already have anxiety and depression trying to do that for you. Telling someone with anxiety or depression to "be happy" or "just calm down" is like telling someone that's on fire to stop burning. Everyday will be a challenge but it doesn't have to consume you. It's not something that's going to go away overnight but you can find ways to manage your life. Stay strong.

5 comments on "Ways to Cope with Anxiety and Depression"
  1. Time management, talk with friends are really techniques. But to get more effective and fast results take supplements for depression.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nevertheless if a person has been struggling with Anxiety for a prolonged period of time the change in behaviour can take some time before a person recovers from anxiety. It is during this recovery stage that it is important that a person continues to act and behave in a non anxious way. (Behaviour modificacbd pain cream cvs
    tion) and keeps faith in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for nice information. Please visit our web:
    Adityo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for nice information. Please visit our web:
    www.uhamka.ac.id

    adi
    adi

    ReplyDelete

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature