Top 10 Horror Movies

| On
7:47 AM
I talk about horror a lot on my blog, but I’ve never truly talked about my favorite horror films. I’ve mentioned a few here or there, but I’ve never actually sat down and listed off my top picks. So today, I’m going to be talking about my top 10 favorites – old and new. I’ve been a horror fan for as long as I can remember and I’m always looking for excuses to talk about horror. So without further adieu, let’s get started.


1.      The Exorcist: This film is truly iconic. It was one of the first the fuel my love for the genre. It also taught me at a young age that Ouija boards are nothing to mess with, unless you want your head to spin around like an owl. Everything from the visuals, the effects, the makeup – it all stuck with me; embedding itself into my brain. Makeup artist, Dick Smith’s work on this film is unparalleled. I’ve recreated his work on Linda Blair many times but his old age makeup Max Von Sydow is just unbelievable. Seeing Blair’s transformation from innocent little girl to the most frightening case of demonic possession ever was incredible. This is the film I go to when I want to relax, simply because it brings me so much joy. This film also just had its 43rd anniversary!


2.      Hostel Part I and II: For those that know me best, they know that I adore Eli Roth. I sort of cheated and I’m grouping these two films together because I watch them both so much. In the first film, a group of friends are backpacking through Europe when they come across a shady hostel. They end up getting wrapped up in a business where you can pay to torture someone – and American’s go for a lot of cash. Roth said the idea was inspired by the time he came across a Japanese website where you can go into a room and for a large sum of money, you can shoot someone. The torture scenes are by far some of my favorites and Part II steps it up to another level. Part II is definitely my overall fave of the two because the main character is a badass female that *spoiler alert* actually makes it out alive. One of my favorite moments is the Elizabeth Bathory inspired scene where Heather Matarazzo is strung up by her feet over a bathtub and gets sliced by a woman who then bathes in her blood. The price of beauty is insane.




3.      Martyrs: This film is a French-Canadian horror that truly leaves you speechless after you finish it. I’m a huge fan of films that have a deeper meaning that has an explanation to the madness and that leaves you wanting more. The film follows a young girl named Lucie that escaped a slaughterhouse where she had been imprisoned and abused for years. She was then placed in an orphanage where she meets a girl that quickly befriended her. Years later, they both break into the home of the people Lucie believes to be responsible for her childhood abuse. It’s brutal and heartbreaking, and the last half of the movie is what truly makes it all worthwhile.


4.      Suspiria: I love Italian horror, and I love Dario Argento even more. Suspiria was the first Argento film I ever saw and I’ve been hooked ever since. The film follows an American ballet student that transfers to this prestigious school in Germany, only to find out that it’s being run by a coven of witches. This film has some of the most beautiful imagery I’ve ever seen in a horror film. The death scenes in this film are horrific, but they’re done in such stylized and vibrant way that you don’t want to look away. They literally put the “gore” in “gorgeous”. One of the first deaths in the film involves a ballet dancer that’s attacked and hung from the ceiling. She falls through this beautiful stained glass ceiling, everything is brilliant and in your face, in typical Argento fashion. The score from this film is amazing too.


5.      Freddy vs. Jason: Okay, so this film is one of my most-watched films in my collection. I can recite every line in the film, it’s insane. I included Freddy vs. Jason because I couldn’t just put the entirety of both series’ on the list so I kinda of cheated again because I love them both. It was like a horror-fan’s wet dream to see these two battle it out. I’m a huge fan of the death’s in this film, so I love that the DVD featured the “jump to a death” option that’s also featured on all of the Nightmare DVD’s. Freddy is beyond pissed that people have found a way to forget about him, especially since it’s out fear that gives him his power. So he decides to visit Camp Crystal Lake and wake up our old pal, Jason. He just needs Jason to kill a few people so that they think Freddy’s back on Elm St. – except Jason’s having too much fun and doesn’t know when to stop. This film is so much fun to watch. It’s always a party when your two favorites collide and leave nothing but blood and destruction behind them.




6.      Thirteen Ghosts: I’ve made so many of my friends watch this film because it’s so much fun to watch. What really drew me to this film were the death scenes and the makeup. Aside from The Exorcist, this film features some of my favorite special effects. The ghosts in this film are all so intriguing and their makeup is insane. This film follows a man and his family after they inherit a glass house from their late uncle, Cyrus. The only problem is, the basement is full of ghosts. The film is a remake of the William Castle film by the same name. It also features the same concept of being able to see the ghosts when you put on these special glasses, which was a gimmick that Castle used to draw people into the theaters. One of the most interesting things about this film is the ghosts themselves. If you get the DVD, there’s a special feature that allows you to see mini introductions to the ghosts – allowing you to see how they died and what they were like until their death. My personal favorite is The Jackal, one of the more vicious of the ghosts.
  

7.      The Last House on the Left: Wes Craven is one of my favorite names in horror. So many of his films hold a special place in my heart, and this is one of them. This film is one of my favorites from the 70's Exploitation craze. These films were raw, gritty, and brutal and often involved a tale of revenge. In this film, a young girl and her friend are terrorized by a group of criminals that kidnap them and then subject them to incredibly brutal acts. They stab one of the girls to the point of disembowelment, they eventually shoot the main girl as she tries to escape in the river, and they sexually assault them. It’s almost like watching a snuff film. The criminals unknowingly take refuge in the house of one of the girls after her parents so graciously show them hospitality, allowing them to escape the storm. The parents inevitably find out who they are and what they did and decide to take matters into their own hands. Seeing the parents get revenge is so delicious and you’re rooting for them the entire time. This film was remade in 2009, and while a lot of remakes tend to fall flat, I really enjoyed this film. The parent’s revenge scenes are even more brutal and gory than in the original. The original however, remains my favorite over the two because of the grittiness of the film, helping it appear even more realistic.


8.      Scream: Another Craven film I just couldn’t help but mention. Craven once said that he came up with the idea for this film after people came up to him and said how much they loved "The Last House on the Left, when are you gonna do something scary again?” So he came up with the concept for Scream, a slasher film that successfully makes fun of the horror genre. It’s the perfect film for horror nerds like me that get way too into the genre and asks themselves “if they have what it takes to survive a horror movie?” The film even includes a scene where Randy Meeks gives an impromptu lesson on the rules of horror. The film follows Sydney Prescott, your typical innocent final girl, as she’s stalked by a masked killer that’s offing the people of Woodsboro. This film is smart, sarcastic and it’s the quintessential knife in the back of horror all while serving up some delicious blood and gore. One of my favorite things that Scream did was hire a big name like Drew Barrymore and they hung and disemboweled her in the first few minutes of the film. Iconic. I also had an unhealthy crush on Billy Loomis but that’s a story for another day. Long story short: every horror fan is Randy Meeks.

*heart eyes*


9.      Carrie: “They’re all gonna laugh at you!” This is probably my favorite Stephen King adaptation and novel. A classic tale of a misfit who’s had enough of everyone’s shit and just looses it. Sissy Spacek’s performance was incredible, but Piper Laurie’s portrayal of Margaret White really nailed it. The way she controlled Carrie and how she essentially made her afraid of (and essentially hate) her own body was unsettling. Calling her breasts her “dirty pillows”, punishing her for getting her period, locking her in that dark closet with the creepiest Jesus figurine I’ve ever seen – was probably more frightening than the prom scene. In this film, poor little Carrie White was bullied and ridiculed by everyone and then she discovers that she has telekinesis, the power to move and manipulate things with her mind. The rest of the film involves Carrie getting covered in pig’s blood and then all hell breaks loose at prom. It’s so satisfying because you’re so ready to see Carrie get revenge on her tormentors and she delivers. This film spawned a sequel and two remakes. I’m actually a big fan of the remake, The Rage: Carrie 2, I had it on VHS as a kid. Bonus: Check out the song “Hell In The Hallways” by Ice Nine Kills that was inspired by the novel.


10.  House of 1,000 Corpses & The Devil’s Rejects: Okay, so I cheated again and I’m pairing these two together because if I had to pick some horror films that defined me as a person, I’d pick these two. My dad gave me House of 1,000 Corpses on DVD when it first came out because he knew how much I loved horror. I was hooked form the very beginning, which was strange because the first thing you see is Captain Spaulding and I am not a fan of clowns. He’s just so dang charming, you have to make an exception. Now, the first film follows a group of friends travelling through the back roads of Texas as they look for strange and unusual places throughout America. They come across Captain Spaulding and try out his “murder ride” where they learn about the legend of Doctor Satan. From there these kids are subjected to unimaginable horrors as they encounter the Firefly family. The Firefly family is like the Manson Family on acid, they’re intense and insane and you do not want to end up at their house on Halloween night- or any night for that matter. My favorite of the bunch is Baby, played by Sheri Moon Zombie. I was immediately drawn to her character from the beginning but I fell in love when she gleefully chased down Mary and then slaughtered her while laughing maniacally. I’ve worked in haunted houses before and whenever I had to play a maniac, I channel my inner Baby.  Now the sequel, The Devil’s Rejects, is so much different from the first film. Where the first film is more stylized and cartoonish at times, The Devil’s Rejects is more realistic and gritty, similar to the exploitation films of the 70's. The sequel follows The Firefly family as they’re on the run from the police because they’re whole operation has been found out. This film is interesting because there’s no group of victims for you to sympathize with or root for, you’re basically forced to relate to this family of sadistic murderers that get a kick out of torturing people, having sex with their bodies, kept body parts in the fridge and stuffed under the crawlspace in the house – you get the picture. You get the see Otis, Baby and Captain Spaulding as they from skinning a man’s face and forcing his wife to wear it to laughing and enjoying some Tutti Frutti ice cream. These films are brutal but you’re drawn in by the charismatic characters and the story. You wanna know “are they gonna make it? Are they going to get away with everything?”



Alright I’m finished now. This ended up being a lot longer than expected but when it comes to my favorites – I have a lot to say.

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature