Why I Chose a Small Liberal Arts College

| On
7:40 AM


When searching for colleges as a senior in high school the one thing on my mind was: “where the heck do I want to go?” It was a confusing time, everything was moving so fast and I was being pressured to make some big decisions for my future.
One thing I knew was that I didn’t want to end up at a school where the majority of my classmates attended as well. Going to an entirely new place with no one I knew was a scary thought but it was better than attending a school that still felt like I was stuck in high school.
As a small-town girl, the thought of going to a huge university with class sizes of 400 where most professors don’t know your name just didn’t appeal to me. I was going to be out on my own for the first time and I wanted an environment that I knew would be a great fit for me which is how I landed at Barton College in North Carolina.
Barton College is a small, private liberal arts college in the city of Wilson, NC. It has a small, close-knit environment and class sizes average around 13-20. It has a variety of majors and minors but the one I set my sights on was Mass Communications, which had numerous concentrations within the major. I chose Journalism as my concentration and psychology as my minor- the two things I love the most.
During my time at Barton I was able to do everything I had set out to do: major in something I was very passionate about, become a member of the collegiate cheerleading squad, and I made the best decision ever when I became a sister of Phi Mu Fraternity.
Coming to Barton was a huge move for me as I was the only person in my entire county to come to Barton. After going to school with the same people for my entire life I was about to venture out into a new place where I didn’t know a single soul but it ended up being the best choice I had ever made. It came me a chance to really find myself and build a new life with new people. With my cheer squad and my sorority I had a new family and support system and it truly made Barton become my home away from home.
Although my life has had many ups and down during my time in college I wouldn’t trade one second of it. Barton became my second home and the people I encountered during my time here are some of the most important people in my life. My professors, advisor, coaches and the members of my team and sorority have all had a difference in my life, whether they know it or not. I will always be thankful to Barton for making my college experience and unforgettable one.

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature