Top 5 Favorite Women in Movies/Tv From my Childhood

| On
1:13 PM

Now, for those that know me know that I am all about strong female characters. My life pretty much revolves around them, they inspire me, motivate me, and they’ve all had a hand in molding me to be the woman I am today. These women have attitude, confidence and a killer wardrobe. Each character is more different than the last, which definitely explains my ever-changing style and interests.

While my life is full of female characters that have influenced me, these five women started it all. I religiously watched their movies and shows, I modeled my personality and style after them, and they continue to be some of my favorite ladies.

From a pink-loving sorority girl turned law student, to a combat boot wearing outcast that loved pizza and watching Sick Sad World.

So here are my top five women in movies/TV:

Cher Horowitz (Clueless)

Clueless was one of those films that truly shaped who I was. As a kid I admired Cher, her ability to talk her way out of almost anything, her confidence, her style and her ah-mazing revolving closet- like are you kidding me? Who watched that film and didn’t want her closet?

Cher loved a good challenge and was never afraid to speak up for what she believed in, whether it was regarding her choice of keeping her virginity until she met the right person, or on why she needed to donate her skis to the Pismo Beach Disaster Relief.

She was also never afraid to discuss her distaste for men her own age, because girl SAME! I also have Cher to thank for my love of Paul Rudd because as she realized that she loved Josh, I too realized that I loved Josh- literally my MCM every day. Cher influenced me as a kid and continues to do so- she’s also the reason I use the phrase “as if” in daily conversation.

Wednesday Addams (The Addams Family)

My love for all things creepy started when I was young. From my obsession with horror movies and creepy TV shows, I was all about that life. While other girls idolized their Disney princesses I wanted to be Wednesday Addams. Don’t get me wrong, I love Disney as much as the next person, but none of them truly captured my love for macabre quite like Wednesday (unless we’re talking about the early tales that inspired the Disney films- some of those were truly dark).

Wednesday inspired me to embrace my weirdness and own it, even if others found it or my interests a little unsettling. I can’t tell you how many times I have to hear “why do you like horror films so much? They’re disgusting!” or “why do you read about serial killers?” Blah, blah, blah- it’s exhausting.

Wednesday is fiercely herself and isn’t afraid to let others know and it inspired me to stop hiding my interests and who I am for the sake of others. Also, Wednesday and her mother Morticia’s style is iconic and has definitely influenced many of my looks. Black is such a happy color.

Courtney Shayne (Jawbreaker)

Y’all don’t even know how much I idolized this chick when I was growing up. Courtney was fierce, confident, witty, and ruled with an iron fist. Thanks to Courtney and the film Jawbreaker, I’ve always had a dream of having a slow-mo scene where I walk down a hallway while Yoo Hoo by The Imperials plays in the background.

Courtney is the reason I’m so obsessed with bold, red lipstick and she’s kind of where I adopted my bitchiness. I aspired to be her, she was the top bitch and could strike fear into the hearts of many and do it in style. Looking gorgeous and terrifying is the aesthetic I so love.

I don’t know why I’m always drawn to the bitchy main characters in films but, it started with my love for Courtney.

Daria Morgendorffer (Daria)

Daria is literally me, from her resting bitch face to her no-nonsense personality. Aside from my main chick Angelica Pickles (who deserves a post just to herself), Daria was one of the only animated characters that had a huge impact on my life. Daria was a sarcastic little shit with a realist, and often cynical, view of the world. She speaks her mind it comes off as so sarcastic that others don’t realize she’s throwing an intense amount of shade at them.

Daria was the reason I became so obsessed with combat boots and skirts and one of the reasons I’m too sarcastic for my own good.

Elle Woods (Legally Blonde)

As if I could have a list about women that inspired me and NOT mention Elle Woods- I would be lying to myself.

As a kid, watching this movie was a huge deal. Elle Woods was a bubbly, girly, sorority girl who defied all odds and graduated from Harvard Law despite those that thought she couldn’t. I was a fourth grader who wore a lot of pink that was too nice to everyone and let others tell me who I could be. Seeing Elle believe in herself and working her ass off to reach her goals inspired me and continues to inspire me. Everyone needs that “Elle Woods ‘I don’t need men, I’m gonna kick ass in Law School’” kind of motivation. As a sorority woman, I know too well of how we’re stereotyped and looked at as girly-girls that only care about looks and we’re severely underestimated. It’s one of the reasons I go above and beyond to prove others wrong.

Elle Woods inspired me to always have faith in myself, stand up for my beliefs, and never sacrifice who I am in order to be successful. Elle also inspired me to speak out against fuckboys that think that they’re hot shit. #StopFuckboys2k15

Though I have many favorite female characters, these five will always hold a special place in my heart. What are some female characters that inspire you?


Till next time, 

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature